Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Gardenator


First off, we recently found this guy protecting the basil. Unfortunately, it seems it caught a pollinator and not a Japanese beetle (which love the basil). Thanks to the nephews who helped me find this!

Thought I'd give y'all an update on the goings ons in our garden. We've had quite a fruitful week or two. This basket contains a single day's worth of cherry tomatoes and you might also notice a sweet pepper, our first two okra, a handful of green beans, and our first installment of black beans. Jessie fried up the okra and we continue to dream up creative recipes to use all the cherry tomatoes.

Below is the okra plant for those who may not be familiar with them. I had a tough time getting a good photo, so I apologize.

Jessie was very excited about our first harvest of black beans. They've been ready for a while but you have to let them dry out completely on the plant. Here's what they look like in the pods and also our total haul.

This week also marked the turning of our first Cherokee Purple tomato. They aren't the prettiest tomatoes, but are by far the best I've ever tasted. The one in this photo is now nearly ripe and sitting on our window sill...making all the cherry tomatoes feel inadequate.

For those keeping track, the Cascade hops have produced some flowers! They're not ready yet, and I've only counted, at most, 10 flowers, but its a start. I think they should be ready sometime in early August.


Coming soon... Chronology of a Watermelon

2 comments:

Andy Beck said...

Your garden posts are way better than ours - you actually know stuff and use correct terms. I say things like "this thing" and "weird plants". Plus you actually have harvested something.

Can't wait to hear more about the hops! Had a good hoppy Amber Ale yesterday from a local brew-house.

Andy said...

Oh yeah, and i noticed all your wonderful produce in the garden basket - where can i get a knife plant? is that from the same store that sells the money trees?