Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jason and Jessie's Egg-cellent adventure


Jessie and I received a book this Christmas called "The Joy Of Keeping Chickens". We had been tossing around the idea of getting some hens for about a year and we decided we should finally see if it truly is a joy to keep chickens.

The first step was pricing out coop building supplies. After much discussion, we decided that the most cost effective option was to order a coop kit. We decided on the "Deluxe" Chicken Coop Hen House. We also decided that we wanted to put the coop right about where our current out-building resides. Here's a candid shot of the old shed (it's the white thing on the left). I apologize for the quality, the photo was taken from inside the screened porch as I tried to photograph the deer in the back yard.


So, with the last two days of our vacation, we commenced to tearing down the shed. It turned out to be considerably more work than I anticipated, but we're too far in to turn back now.


In fact, on Tuesday we even ordered our chicks from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri. The chicks will be arriving around February 18. We got 10 birds, because we want to end up with about 6 egg-layers and we're anticipating some some mortality via the cookin' pot. We got two different breeds, 5 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Partridge Rocks. Here's an artist's rendition of what they might look like as adults.


Stay tuned for updates!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you all CRACK me up! nanci

Mary said...

You know you can't put them in the coop without a heat lamp right? Also, they will be small enough they will go right through the chicken wire. Just trying to help you avoid any disasters...

Jason said...

We'll start the chicks inside with a heat lamp and not put them outside till it warms up a bit. Also, I'm planning on using 1/2" hardware cloth to close them in...I'm more worried about things getting in than them getting out!

Mary said...

Good idea with the hardware cloth. They grow fast too so it won't be long before they'll be easy to keep in. How old do they have to get before they start laying?

Andy Beck said...

I say, I say!

How are you going to keep Mama from getting a hold of one of those tasty morsels?