Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

That's a funny looking bluebird

Yesterday, I opted to clean out the bluebird box in the front yard so we could hopefully welcome some new residents. I tapped on the box like you're supposed to do to make sure there's no one home. After no sign or sound of birds in the box, I went ahead and opened it. Here's what I found...


I know what you're thinking, and the answer is no, I did not have to change my underwear. Now, I'm sure some of you are not familiar with bluebirds, so here's a link with photos for comparison. As you can see from the photos, what I found was in fact not a bluebird. What it turns out to be is 4 foot adult black rat snake. I captured him in a bucket and released him back into the woods, which actually led to me finding the motherload of morel mushrooms. Good times down south!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness...i can't wait to show this to your Granny...she'll need to change her underwear. Let me know when you plan to eat the mushrooms so that I can have the ER on alert. Really are you sure that they are not the bad ones...even old mushroomers can get confused and they can make you sick for your life time...PS ditch the snake before I come down...mom

Jason said...

They are most certainly the non-toxic type of mushrooms, but we're not eating them anyhow. The neighbor is all about them, so we gave them to him. And he has a PhD in mushroomology.

Missouri Home said...

Well, I probably would not have needed new underware either. However, I would have had to wash my mouth out with soap and told my children that mom should not have said those words and that I was really sorry for it.
Glad he is in his new home and that you can have bluebird in their proper home.
Find a snake for mom when she comes down. It will make me laugh. I need a good laugh.