Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bowling

About 6 or 7 months ago, a guy at work had to cut down an old eastern redcedar in his yard. I asked if I could have a chunk of it to carve on and he agreed. This is my story...

Recently, I decided that the chunk of redcedar had probably seasoned long enough and should be carved (i.e. woodborers were having their way with it). I split the log into three pieces. In case you're curious, I ended up with one half and two quarters about 12" long. The photo below shows the two quarters. I couldn't believe the beautiful reddish color of the wood...and it smelled great!


I decided to carve a bowl in the full half of the log.


After a few evenings and a couple weekend hours, the project was complete. For some reason, many of the people I know around here could not get their head around this being a bowl. No, it is not an ashtray. Does it really need to have a preconceived function? I think not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jason, that really is beautiful. it has a lovely finish. it does not look like an ashtray...keep up the work. nanci