I have learned a new craft. I'm now in the business of spoon making. Jessie had been looking for a slotted wooden spoon for a while and couldn't find one she liked. I had a few chunks of red oak about 1"x4"x12" laying around so I decided to try and make one. Here's numero uno:
I was pretty pleased with this first attempt, so I decided to carve up the other two chunks of red oak as well. I also did some reading up on the subject and found out that I could carve on branches and such that I've hauled out of the woods. Here's my second try, which came direct from a red maple I cut out of our woods. The other half of the branch I carved it from is shown on the right.
And lastly, here is my entire catalog. The one on the left is the first one I made and it appears darker because it has been treated with food-grade oils. The two on the far right are works in progress. And you may recognize the very last one on the right as the "before" example in the photo above.
2 comments:
Great work! About how long can a guy of modest means figure on spending to make one of those?
I'd say somewhere between 3-6 hours each in total. And probably 75% of that is spent sanding. For reference, I've probably already got 2 hours in that last one on the right. My production rate increased greatly once I figured out that I could use my dremel tool!
Post a Comment