Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay.

If you love reading about all the things we're up to, then these are your lucky two days. In addition to the gardening, we also recently completed a project we'd been thinking about for some time.

When we first moved into our house and toured around in our woods, we found a line of very old white oak trees (~30"+ DBH). These trees used to be the property line and had even grown around the old wire fence that once ran along them. After a survey was done when our subdivision was built, these trees actually fell just inside our property. We have, I think, five of them. Well, several years before we moved in, a new subdivision went in behind these trees, on the adjacent property. One of our trees didn't fair so well in the landscaping that occurred behind it. I felt this would be best illustrated in this artist's rendition of the events that led to the tree's demise.


Regardless of what killed the tree, we now had a 80+' tall, three stemmed, dead/dying hazard tree leaning towards the houses behind us. Based on all I've heard regarding liability in such a case, we decided to have the tree taken down. As I don't possess the equipment/expertise to bring down such a dangerous tree, we hired Bartlett Tree Experts to do the job. I must say, I was terribly impressed with the work they did. They didn't get a single branch over the property line. Here's some photos of the aftermath.

Take a look at the wood rotting fungi that were wearing this bugger down...


And here we have the stump...Jessie's glove shown for scale.


And two of the three tops.


So we spent the better part of a day getting started on the cleanup. I got my Grandpa's chainsaw fired up, started bucking the logs into firewood sized pieces, and piling branches and firewood. (Note: This tree is as far from our house and it could be, so we will not be hauling the firewood back up to the house...not sure what to do with it quite yet.) Plenty more cleanup left to do!


Not that anyone is wondering, but yes, that is my same hardhat (circa 1999)...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
I, too, wear women's clothes and hang around in bars!! Keep your axe sharp and your chain tight.
The Bergmans

Missouri Home said...

The hard hat totally makes the job more impressive. And, holy crap, that was a big ass tree! Did your neighbors to the back send you a thank you casserole for removing it prior to hurricane season?

Anonymous said...

Love the old "Mac T" those things are worth money these days cause they don't make 'em anymore!

-paul d.