View Larger Map
This area, called the Crystal Coast, has lots of attractions, both modern and historic and we thought we could find plenty to do around here. Also, Cape Lookout National Seashore is only a short ferry ride away and is an undeveloped beach, which is hard to find on the NC coast.
Jessie and I scoured the web looking for a place to stay and found ourselves a nice little cottage on Harker's Island (shown in map above). The remainder of this post is a pictorial recap of our +/- 3 days at the beach. Some photos captioned, some make-your-own captions. Enjoy.
On the way down, we took a stop off for lunch in New Bern, the birthplace of Pepsi Cola. And then it was on to the beach.

The first major excursion was to Cape Lookout National Seashore. Home to the Cape Lookout light.

We swam in the ocean, hunted seashells, and even surf fished a little.




It was a great day. On the second day, we visited Fort Macon State Park. Fort Macon was used from the War of 1812 through WWII.


Those were the big events. On the third day, we headed back to the Moanstead, stopping only once to get a good old belly bustin' eastern Carolina-style buffet BBQ lunch at King's BBQ in Kinston, NC.
In case you don't remember or never knew what eastern Carolina-style BBQ was, please refer to the video below.
3 comments:
Brad says: "Oh no they didn't."
Ellis says: "Oh yes they did."
These are in response to the Pepsi picture.
Looks like fun, but I think Jessie's picture is from last summer because I swear I have that exact picture of her.
What? No pic of Jason mounting a cannon at the Ft.? Disappointed? Yeah, a little.
Sorry Andy, I only have one photo like that and it's from the Charleston, SC waterfront circa 2006.
Post a Comment