
I figured it'd been a while since we last spoke of the farm. In fact, it seems to me that we haven't mentioned it since we got our first egg about a month ago. Well, a lot has changed since then. We're now getting a dozen eggs every 3 or 4 days and having a time trying to figure out what to do with them all. The eggs are even getting to be almost medium sized.
We've had one chicken in solitary confinement for the past week. She suffered a slight prolapse and has to be kept away from the others while it heals. I'm not going to go into what a prolapse is, but you're welcome to google it if you like. I'll just caution you that it is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever dealt with and there's no telling what google will turn up.
We've been letting the the ladies out into the yard to peck around most evenings and Jessie shot a few photos the other day so I thought I'd share them with you.

The chickens have learned that when I walk around in the yard, I churn up crickets. Consequently, the birds tend to follow me around from time to time. And if I'm not churning up crickets (or I stand in one place too long), they peck at my shoes and my leg hairs.
The girls sometimes (always) give us grief when its time to go back into the coop. Let me set up the soundtrack of this event for you:
We then spend far too much time trying to corral the chickens back into the coop. And hilarity ensues.

The speed at which all of this occurs is evidenced by the blurriness of the photo above. I usually end up having to carry them one or two at a time back into the coop.

And I thought I'd leave you with this photo which I like to call, "Jason flippin' the bird."
1 comment:
HILARIOUS!!!! You guys are awesome! Can't wait to meet the girls next summer!
Post a Comment