I started having flashbacks to December of 2007, the day the squirrel broke through the wall of our house in Blacksburg. The cat and I chased it around and around to the tune of the Benny Hill theme song (in my head anyways) until I was finally able to scoop it up in the bug net as it predictably lept out from under the Christmas tree. Yeah, this was kind of like that.
We hurriedly got the camera for a few photos (below) and let the chickens out.
The squirrel however did not seem to know or care that the coop gate was wide open. He hunkered down under the coop and would not budge. And then the single most hilarious act I've ever seen in nature occurred. Prompted by Jessie making some noise in the garden behind it, the squirrel bolted and almost bolted right out the gate. But instead misjudged the location of the gate by about 8 inches to the left. That squirrel ran square into the boxwire fence that surrounds the coop, flipped over upon impact and ran back under the coop. After we wiped away our laughing tears, we were able to direct the squirrel to the proper exit and it ran away back into the wild. I hope it learned it's lesson.
The chickens did, I'm sure. The leader of the pack appeared to have battled the squirrel a tiny bit, with just a hint of blood on her comb. Otherwise everybody was fine and we still got 3 eggs out of 'em. We found the entry hole (dug under the fence) and patched things up. What an exiting day!
2 comments:
Why don't you have video of the squirrel running into the fence and doing the back flip? That really would have made my day. But, thanks for the description, I had a good laugh! Your post also makes me think of the song, "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza." You know how to change the words to fit, I'll leave you with that.
Sorry there's no video. You just can't anticipate some as great as the squirrel running into the fence!
Post a Comment