Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink

As promised, this post deals exclusively with one of our many "ordeals" since moving in. Off the top of my head I can think of three other "ordeals" to be discussed at our leisure. These ordeals include the porch door, the porch roof, and the Washout. Scratch that second one...the porch roof was a full fledged debacle.

Ah, the kitchen sink. We have a standard stainless double basin kitchen sink. Nothing fancy. A couple of months ago, Jessie tells me that it's leaking underneath. I looked underneath to see it leaking from the washer directly below the drain. I could tell from the look of it that this had been leaking for a while. I decided that the issue was clearly the washer and I bought two (Got to have a backup) $2 washers. I came home and attempted to unscrew the base to the drain so I could replace the washer. Up until this point everything was going okay. And then...

I turned the ring holding the drain in place. I tried righty tighty, I tried lefty lucy, I tried swearing. Nothing worked. The ring wouldn't come loose. In fact, when I turned the ring to loosen it, the entire drain fixture would turn. In my infinite wisdom I cut a 1x2 board to fit diagonally across the sink and drilled two holes through it. I put bolts through these holes and through the holes in the drain and tightened them down. My thought was that the drain could only turn so far before it would be forced to come loose. It didn't. It twisted my bolts right around each other.

The sink then sat, half functional, for days as I devised my next attack. During this time of reflection, I learned just how cheap a whole new drain would be. And so it was...if the drain would not loosen, I would remove the entire thing. Once this decision was made, the fix took only about 15 minutes...and once again I arose triumphant.

No comments: