Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I've been scheming

Welcome back. Lately, I've been doing a better job of scheming my blog postings ahead of time and thus taking more pictures in the process of our adventures. I wanted to provide a more action packed viewing/reading experience. This blog deals with The Porch Roof Debacle mentioned a few posts back.

Here goes...

As I've mentioned in the past, shortly after we moved in the porch roof started leaking. Not badly, but the fact that it leaked at all was a little disconcerting. I thought, "No problem, I'll just get some roof tar and get that sealed back up." And so I did. That was last fall. And then it rained and the roof leaked again. So I went up for round two in ceiling sealing. I sealed every crack, nail, bend, etc I could until I was satisfied I had solved it this time. And once again it rained and once again the roof leaked. At this point we took apart the inside of the ceiling to get a better look at where the leak might be coming from. Some photos to help you imagine it yourself are below (I even circled the points of leakage).



After looking more closely, it appeared clear that the leak was coming from near the seam where the porch roof meets the house roof. By this time, unfortunately, winter was in full swing and the temps have to be 60+ for the sealant to dry properly. So we waited.


Then when spring came around, I enlisted the help of our neighbor to help me locate the pesky leak. He and I sealed everything that looked like it might be to blame and we reinforced the places I maybe hadn't applied enough sealant to the first time. And it rained. And it didn't leak. I declared the leak sealed, but wanted to wait for a little heavier rain before being 100% sure. After 2" of rain had fallen, the roof started leaking again and so one final time I resurveyed the roof.


It seemed unlikely that I could have possibly missed a spot. Notice how the sun glistens off the plethora of roof sealant.

And then the late spring rains came. Storm after storm after storm. Over the course of one month we probably got 10 inches of rain. The roof did not leak. And a raucous celebration ensued.


Celebrations aside, we finally got the ceiling put back together the other week. Much to my surprise the pieces we removed actually fit back into their original positions with little effort. Maybe we're actually learning a thing or two.

No comments: