Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

A reel good time!

On this Labor Day weekend, Jessie and I decided to act upon our decree to "canoe more often". This decree has been in place since the New River Canoe Race, and in fact we even instituted an at-least-once-a-month canoe quota at that time. We have since canoed a total of zero times.

And so, yesterday we loaded up the "Mainah" and headed for B. Everett Jordan Lake. Below, for reference, is a photo of the "Mainah" (in green) from it's heyday on the New River in Radford, Virginia, complete with miscellaneous graduate students (Jeff, Chad, and Katie) and an exceptionally undertanned Jason.

We found a nice boat launch on a part of Jordan Lake where speedboats aren't allowed and launched the boat. We paddled around some and found some partially submerged old trees. Being that this is a reservoir, there's a decent number of such things. We hooked up a couple Canadian nightcrawlers (not those tiny useless worms that are actually native to NC) and tried both the bobber method and bottom fishing. Both methods produced increasingly waterlogged nightcrawlers and zero bites.

We decided to scrap the fishin' and have a picnic. Since the water is down about 6 or so feet, there was plenty of vegetation-free shore to sit on. We also played some frisbee for a bit, though someone seemed to have a penchant for throwing the frisbee just a tad into the lake.

Eventually, we decided to start heading back towards the boat launch. We pulled into a little cove to try and rid ourselves of some of our nightcrawlers. We actually got some bites and so we set up on the shore again and fished for a spell. Just as we were getting ready to give up again, I got a good hit and hooked into a monster. In the style of my good friends Austin and Nellie, who are always showing their great catches, I present the largest inland fish I've caught in NC this year!

For those with poor eyesight, here's an up-close of this monster.

I was pumped and ready to stay and wear 'em out, but alas, Jessie declared that would be "mean" and so we returned to the truck.

Next up: The Neuse River...downstream from Raleigh, where you really shouldn't even touch the fish, let alone eat them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the saddest fish I ever saw...even Ellis's minnow that he "loved to death" was bigger than that. But Kuddo's for trying...I think the worm you caught it on was bigger than the fish...but, I guess it is really not nice of me to give you such a hard time about your fish as I don't like to fish, just eat them! love mom (nanci)

Austin said...

Good work getting the canoe in the water. And that fish is awesome--don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Anonymous said...

Nice shirt!