Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

O'er Ida

As the remnants of tropical storm Ida move on, I thought it necessary to give y'all an update on where we stand. Had I written this yesterday, the answer would have been 'in the pouring sideways rain'. Jessie and I placed bets on the total rainfall and I have to say that she's come out much closer than I have. We are currently showing 3.94" since Tuesday night, the majority of which came Tuesday and Wednesday. The rainfall total below is courtesy of, your friend and mine, NOAA.That's us there under the light blue (I dare say Carolina blue) dot.


Today, however, there's nothing left but the wind. I'm not a huge fan of the wind (Gusts 30-40 MPH), but it does have it's upside...

Today, on my way to work I saw a glorious sight. Another of the Bradford pear trees down the road had succumbed to the wind. It laid there in the yard, the fire-blighted leaves a nice shade of dead. There are two schools of thought on Bradford pear trees and Jessie and I belong to this one. Most southerners, unfortunately, think that they are the only ornamental tree that exists aside from crepe-myrtle.

That's all I've got for today, aside from this...for some reason I have a hankerin' for some tater's. Anyone else? (If you get this joke, then you are just as big a nerd as me!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the weather update and I really enjoyed the the meat sale update...very entertaining and iinformative. Just was curious about the nubbin's. We think we know what they are here..but they could be something different there. But I bet they are TASTY!
It's hot here....looks like we are getting October 'cause we had November last month. nanci

Austin said...

I totally thought this post would be about tater tots...

Andy said...

30-40 mph winds should be another reason why you hate Oklahoma. Here those aren't gusts, those are sustained.

A neighbor's strangely huge (20' tall) Bradford fell a few years ago...on top of our car. It was a bittersweet moment.