I installed a trap near the edge of the woods. It is questionable whether or not this is a good idea, but I figured it couldn't be much worse. Then we went to Oklahoma for 4 days. When we returned, the ~5" diameter cup at the bottom of the trap was filled with about 3 solid inches of dead and dying Japanese beetles. I have since been having to dump it once a day. Jessie and I have also been taking a bucket filled with soapy water out to the crepe myrtles once a day and knocking the stupid beetles into the bucket. They're pretty sorry fliers.
We have even enlisted the help of some of the local fauna. We're finding what we believe to be lizard scat with Japanese beetles in it and just today I found this guy helping out. Another one bites the dust! Hey Hey!
3 comments:
ARGH Japanese Beetles! Thank you biology for taking care of some, but you guys are still pretty lucky with the entomological expertise!
Lucky you guys have the jobs you do. I love that you can capture the picture above. That is totally awesome! The boys are pumped to show you the bugs they found at the cabin that NO ONE, not even Denny or Papa could identify. They are in the freezer. We will bring them with us. See you soon!
Chickens! You need chickens to eat the trapped beetles, and what garden couldn't do without some chicken poop?
Post a Comment