No sooner did we arrive in Spokane, than I found out that it was free fishing weekend in the state. So, I convinced my brother and Jessie that we needed to go fishing. As is customary in our family, I decided to hunt the garden for nightcrawlers the night before the trip. The hunting was fruitful and within a half hour or so we had plenty of bait. The next day, we woke up at the crack of 7 or so and headed north. Davis Lake.
My aunt and uncle have a cabin up there and we used the cabin as our base camp. We loaded our gear into the boat and headed out into the lake.
What you can't see in this picture is that we're in a pedal boat...all three of us. It actually worked pretty well, once we got the hang of steering it and successfully stopped turning in circles. However, our ability to maneuver the boat in no way translated into fishing success and after pedaling around for good while, we decided to return to the dock and try our luck there.
We carefully read the water (low turbidity, roughly 45 degrees), the wind (sustained < 5mph), the heat (roughly 65-70 degrees), and the aspect (east-southeast) and decided on the proper tackle.
It wasn't long before I hooked into the first monster rainbow trout of the day.
And then Jessie had to one up me by catching this slightly larger monster. Seriously, it was bigger than mine.
But the real fun came when I hooked into this sucker...literally. I've learned from reading Austin's blog and various Field & Streams that this is the preferred way to photograph your fishing catches before you release them back into the wild.
However, I prefer this way. Heck of a weird lookin' thing there. And I know what you're thinking...the fish is weird lookin' too!
And where was that mighty fish biologist brother of mine in all this you ask? Working on his tan and making excuses.
1 comment:
Nice. Thanks for the reference--I was wondering why my blog traffic had been so high over the past week.
I'll have to give the face-first holding technique a try on my next catch.
Post a Comment