Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pest Report - 2012



Once again, I bring you the year-end tally of insect kills at the Moanstead. Specifically, the number of paper wasps, carpenter bees, and Japanese beetles that have been dispatched. For reports on the last couple years, please refer to Pest Report - 2010 and Pest Report - 2011 (and also don't forget the Interim Report from 2010).


A mere 7 paper wasps, 10 carpenter bees, and 170 Japanese beetles. What makes this year special is that we now have 3 consecutive years worth of data and as such we can start to monitor trends. For example, the tally has been attached by varying magnets over the last 3 years, though all from places one or both of us has/have traveled. More importantly perhaps is the population trends of the various pests we're tracking. The graphic below shows how the populations have fluctuated over the last couple years.


Recall that 2011 was a year of a screened porch minus a door, thus the higher catches of wasps and carpenter bees.  Looking at this data, I feel confident that I have made significant strides in my control of the Japanese beetles. 

I wonder how 2013 will play out...Hopefully, continually falling numbers of Japanese beetles.

2 comments:

Chris Moan said...

If you're talking trend data, I'm going to need to see a p-value before you start talking about "significant" strides.

Anonymous said...

collecting data...let's see...
2009 blog reports-34, trending up in 2010 to 42, then a lull in 2011 at 28 and then a low in 2012 at 14 posts. For 2013, the first month, 4 already. If it continues at the 4 per month rate you could have set a new record at 48 post for 2013.
I feel confident that the data will play out. nanci